Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Blessed and Beautiful …

“My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and my talents and I lay them both at his feet.” -- Mahatma Gandhi

I’ve never thought about writing about “beauty” again after my own post on Monday, May 14, 2007. Last week I had been to my cousin’s home. For some reason, I took out a stamp size photo of mine and she said she wanted one for her keep sake. I was glad that even she (whom I know since birth) prefers to keep my picture as a memento. But my happiness was short lived. She took out one of her photograph and started comparing facial features. After much evaluation, she repeated the same thing I’ve heard from few times before. It goes like this..” Your lips are defined, eyes are good… nose too seems OK… but somehow… the whole picture of you… does not look good. There is something negative about the way you look, unlike the way I do”. I could hear my conscience saying smoothly “Don’t bother”… but being a normal human that I am, I told her “sis, I’ve heard this before. So let us not keep exchanging the same info again”. She appeared very cool, ‘coz she was busy with the photos.

Since childhood, I grew up with cousins, friends and classmates who looked better and appeared beautiful. One cousin of mine had a pathetic nick name for me… ICU (inferiority complex YOU… as it comes in the Tamil movie Gokulathil Seethai – IC Mohan, if am not wrong). It actually took me years to come out of this weakness that grew with me. After this recent episode of photo comparison, once again I sat back to think in what way I am blessed and beautiful.

Let me list them here so that I can remind myself time and again whenever the ICU part of me peeps. I’ve a heart to be kind most of the times, mind to feel all emotions, a selfless ego, enough grey cells to work in the IT field (as my friends tease me…not much is required for my kind of job) and to analyse between right & wrong, am not deaf except to unruly comments like my cousin’s, am not blind to ignore the beauty around me, sturdy legs fast enough to catch the bus that starts to move just as I near the bus stop, strong hands to do all that I do, skills to come up with something creative, etc. What are my other blessings... a family with whom I can patch up even after the worst fights, friends to luv and be luved back, a job to keep famish away, soul to pray for everyone, a possibly bright future with a nice family and kids (am being optimistic), etc.

Actually speaking, everyone and everything that has and will make me smile even for a moment in my life time is a blessing. It might not hurt if I mention, even those moments and people who have or might make me cry are blessings to me in disguise.

With so many graces bestowed upon me, how can I think am not beautiful... or rather, how can anyone think so. So presenting to you all... the Bold and Beautiful... ME :D

6 comments:

  1. First of all, I would like to stress the fact that U ARE beautiful. May be your cousin was trying to bog you down, coz of obvious reasons.

    And, the ICU part. I know people will criticize you always, coz u r independent. Most of the people who criticize you are not. They envy you.

    There are people who consider you as the most beautiful girl they have ever seen, dear Shree. They consider you as the best ever thing happened in their lives so far. Hence, you don’t have to consider about the blabbering you hear from people. Remember, most of these are due to envy.

    Hence, continue fluttering your wings and continue flying in the vast open sky – your world, where you are the princess and everyone in your world are happy that you have been there. This is what you have which other’s don’t.

    Best wishes for the bold and beautiful Shree .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shree don't lend ears to such words, keep going with your beautiful thoughts tat makes your beauty forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Scorp adoresssssss Shree

    Wat more can be beautiful than someone like Scorp who has such a wide vivid spectrum in life adore you which means u r a special person :) i love the way he expresses - "They consider you as the best ever thing happened in their lives so far.".....am sure here the they most probably refers to himself :)

    i feel very touched to see such unconditional love for you. so...keep rocking shree

    beauty is in da eyes of the beholder and nothing is more beautiful that a kind heart and a warming soul which i am sure u have, so keep smiling....muah....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi scorp, mega & TT...
    thanks a bunch. You guys just made my day... or may be life itself :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahem.. It's good to hear nice words being bestowed upon me by TT :). But I dunno what will she think if she knows the 'real Rajesh' :). Ask Shree about me, and then you'll know the real me ! :) . She is responsible for the taming of the shrew :).

    Anyhow, wat TT has told about Shree is true. She is a wonderful gal, who can make you feel great and happy when you are with her.

    I've always remembered these lines whenever I think about her.

    'Without saying a word, you can light up the dark'...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. well scorp....ahem......chuck de yaar......i am a shrew myself..but to me life is always to be taken lite..it dont think a lot and dont think deep :)

    i know you through the blog i read. as i feel u r lovely person. it dont matter if this lovely person is a mix of venom and wise...cuz i have always loved the fairy tale beauty and the beast :)

    ReplyDelete