Monday, May 14, 2007

Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder


By plucking her petals, you do not gather the beauty of the flower. ~Rabindrath Tagore


This blog is dedicated to people who think beauty is not just skin deep & something more personal & intimate. Beauty is not in seeing a little of a person, but admiring them as a whole flower. A guy made me feel so recently, and few others in the past too (many of whom I felt never really existed – that’s my ego speakin). I was juz wondering wat runs in the minds of those people who FEEL beauty in a person, rather then see it, like the rest of the world.

As usual, I read in the net, a quote by Helen Keller, which goes as ‘The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched ... but are felt in the heart.’ The truth ... as is.

Born & brought up in India, hogging at the filmi queens & heroes in the 1000 & odd films that get released per year… beauty to me meant glossy hair, smooth, freckle free skin, pearly teeth, beauty contestant figure, hi-fi clothes, luxury cars… mmm ok… I’ll not list out wat all of us know already. While in school, when teachers spoke of inner beauty in our Moral Science classes, I strongly believed that it was to make the not so pretty kids feel a little better about themselves. Those ideals brought no sense to me… until a few months back.

In my recent past, my fate took me face to face with the wickedness of wat lost beauty cud cause or wat truth it can reveal. This is not about someone I know of, but then it has affected me in a way, which I intend to take to my grave or spread across the world thru my ashes. It was in a hospital where I witnessed this scene. A guy suffering from third degree burns was so lovingly attended by (just) his girlfriend. His parents?? That’s whom I was searchin for too. I was told that they were too embarrassed to even claim this burnt mass as their son. But, the dedication with which the gal (not yet his wife) cared for him as if he was still the handsome guy she fell in luv with, brought tears to my eyes. I was moved by the incident… but still it dnt remove the etch in my brain that said ‘Beauty is wat is visible to the naked eyes.’

Now comes the part when I my heart carved the words "No object is so beautiful that, under certain conditions, it will not look ugly” (Oscar Wilde quotes (Irish Poet, Novelist, Dramatist and Critic, 1854-1900)). I’m an amateur fotographer and was goin thru my album filled mostly with people I know & some strangers who’ve looked into the lens when my camera focused them. Each of them… different skin tones, different smiles, different kinda beauty, a tear filled eye, a appreciative hug, a deceptive look, a disappointed shoulder, etc. Lookin at it again, I realized that most people I deeply loved ‘ve are not the smooth skinned beauties I mentioned earlier. The wrinkles on my granny’s face reflected the pains she had gone thru to rear us, the look on my friends’ face… portrayed her concern for me & her disappointment in my mistake, etc & me. Aren’t those what beauty is all about?

In the recent days, I’m closer to the person who has made be believe in myself…. Like he always says… Weed is a plant whose virtues are not yet been discovered (he got this from the net too). He keeps telling that looks acquaint many people but those who remain with us see more than looks in us. I was impressed & my emotions come out thru my only vent … my blog. He made me feel beautiful -- juz like the quote 'You don't love a woman because she is beautiful; she is beautiful because you love her'.

Did u guys think of this at any point of time? Even for a minute? I’ve .. a lot before… but without understanding wat beauty actually is. My perspective has changed & I trust, so has my life.


That which is striking and beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful.




8 comments:

  1. One of the best blogs i have read so far. You do have a way with words.Beautiful...very beautiful.Keep up the good work. It reflects the true u.and that story about the burnt guy did bring tears to my eyes. yes you are rite..Love is so much more than just what u feel when u see the good looks of your lover. I wish the burnt guys parents will realise it come back for him one day...Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog really made me to think abt the ppl I 've met till now.. Once upon a time, I wz also having the same opinion that beauty means being gorgeous... But, as years went by , and as destiny started hitting my head with it's hammer, then I slowly got the realization abt beauty. I absolutely agree with what U've said.. Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, and it's just some aspect ppl search in others, with respect to their inner ideas abt it.

    The real beauty lies deep inside, waiting to be discovered by the right person, at the apt time. Once it happens, it blooms and spreads it's petals across.. It's this feelin' which lasts forever, and which makes ppl like U very very special...

    This blog shows that u've gone to the next level of blogging. I felt that this is like a fantastic writer scribbling , when he's relaxing.. Nice work, and feels very much pleasant to read. The previous 'anonymous' commenter has already given what I thought abt ur blog.. :) .. Keep blogging - Life's calling !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beauty is an optional parameter to the world and not a mandatory one. So What you is not always what you get.....
    Beauty lies in Heart !!!
    Colorful Memorables events are beautiful......

    Take your eyes away from human persepctive about Beauty..I guess you are almost there what it means really

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pics on ur posts... Good work.. Liked them very much.. Njoy & hv Fun, doc !! Keep Blogging ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very impressive Shree. Off late I've been wondering about the same. Is there any one real in this world? Someone who can appreciate you for YOU and not for your looks? Your blog has really touched me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WONDERFUL BLOG.Nice to see your beautiful thoughts.love to visit your blog.grt work, sree.Continue
    with this work.Best of luck dear.love,gayathree

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shree here.... Nice to see all ur comments....

    Please leave ur names with ur comments so I'll know the few in the world who share my thots & cherish it..

    What say????

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay then.. as per ur wish, The second comment from the top is by mine.. Rajesh G, AKA The Scorp . .:) . . Started to Cherish (??!!)

    ReplyDelete