Saturday, May 26, 2007

The modern little red riding hood, reared on singing commercials, has no objections to being eaten by the wolf.




"If you don't get noticed, you don't have anything. You just have to be noticed, but the art is in getting noticed naturally, without screaming or without tricks."


This is yet another addition to the things I admire with awe. It has become part of our life… juz like most other things we see everyday and take it for granted. There had been more than one instances when I’d actually missed the usual one or one of my favs.

Straight to the point is what my friends want me to do. Before I go on abt it, I owe a Cornetto if u’ve guessed by now wat I’m yapping about. (No cheating…okie?).

Its all about the make believe world of Advertisements. The first ever advertisement that I remember is that of Hamam soaps. The way the ad of this company has evolved over the quarter century is overwhelming. The ads match the latest trend in every way. This is just an example that jumped out of my memory. The adv, which I admired recently, was the Sony Ericsson mobile fones… where they replace the word LUV with their marble logo. Something like I walking in the rain… I music, I missing the last bus, etc. Very creative… Very impressive.

The first thing that crosses our minds when we think about Ads is the LOGO. By the way… do u know wat LOGO means --- its Logic Oriented & Graphics Oriented (read this is a CSC book of a 10yr old kid).

The creation of logos, I trust dates back to the stone age when people started to mark their territory or clan with symbols of their own, say images of animals, nature, etc. In this cosmo era, the logos that various corporate exhibit are mainly to tap the potential customers in their respective domain. The term ‘Corporate’ should not just remind u of Nike, Adidas, Sony, Benz or Chevrolet. Do u remember the Re.1 pickle packets or 1.ps toffee that we get in our granny’s village… did u notice the logo there? Thanks for remembering them… yes… they too hold a pretty logo speaking for itself.

Creating Logos is the base of the Ad world, coz most of the times they bring out the life of the product. An apt example is of ADIDAS that has to be read as All Day I Dream About Sports [my friend once said S stands for ‘Shree’. Of course I was on Cloud 9, no doubt on that ;)]. But then again, I wud like to ponder more about the creative gray cells that work together or even against each other to come up with catchy, competitive Ad films, hoardings, pamphlets, digital scrolls, etcetera.

Any public relations team cud of course tell these Ad Experts wat they wud like to niche with the new advertisement. Getting into the minds of the requestor, analyzing the market of the product, their expectations and other core things is the most debilitating of all influences in the creation of good advertising (I can’t think more… coz I’m not even close to an amerture in this context). What actually runs into their minds when confronted with an assignment is wat I wud like to ask them if I confront them some day in the near future. Shamelessly copying from the net, I would second the thought "Ads are the cave art of the twentieth century". Won’t you?

Every dark cloud has a silver lining… & so far we’ve been generous enough to see the silver side of this dreamy, floating mass. I won’t do justice to my wicked soul if I dnt write about the darker side as well. Do the advertisements really mean wat they say? Are they true to their word about wat they hoard about? I also believe in wat Will Rogers (psst... I dnt know him either) said - "If advertisers spent the same amount of money on improving their products as they do on advertising then they wouldn't have to advertise them". Wat except money do they gain by luring people with film stars, catchy captions, tempting visuals and lying thru their teeth. I can feel the heat of stare as I hear u say, ‘as if she works in an IT firm for social service’. Hehehehe cunning amn’t I?

Say wat ever, Ad Film making is an unfulfilled dream career of mine & I wud cherish & admire forever & ever.

"Creativity is an advertising agency's most valuable asset, because it is the rarest."

Jef I. Richards

1 comment:

  1. Yet another nice post, WRT language, and the content.. Advertisements.. hmmmmm.. somehow, u get topics which interest the readers.. I've tried to fish for topics , but was not able to get such kinda ones.. :) ..

    Ur language is soaring up, with every post.. Soon, u may start writing a novel or something... Trust me.. It'll be that good..

    Njoy n hv fun , Shree.. It's ur moment.. :) ..

    ReplyDelete