Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Today the ringing of the telephone takes precedence over everything. It reaches a point of terrorism, particularly at dinnertime :)


How about a day without cell phones???

I know it’s an out of the box topic to be blogged about. Was discussing with my friend abt wat to write next. She suggested this one & I thot…. Y not?

It was one of those days I had gone to my native for a weekend visit and had not activated my roaming facility on my mobile service.

I had called up my parents’ abt my arrival & as a grown up gal, declined my dad’s offer to be picked at the bus station. I reached Coimbatore the next morning with heavy luggage & thot it would’ve been better if someone was there to help me with it. I know dad was always within reach, pulled out my mobile & realized too late that I wouldn’t b able to make any calls. I instantly regretted my forgetfulness to activate my roaming facility.

It was too early for the public tele booths to open up. So had to drag my luggage & reach home happily, everything alright except for a small bulge on my back which hurt. For around 2-3 hrs, the realization that my mobile will be dead for a couple of days did not reach me until couple of my very concerned friends called on my dad’s mobile to check if I was safely home.

I didn’t miss it one bit the whole morning. No calls from office asking abt scenario execution, no calls from banks offering life time free credit cards with only annual fees for a decade, no calls from strangers, no calls from beloveds, no calls from enemies (I do get calls from them.. don’t gimme that look), no call from anyone. It felt like I was havin the whole world for myself… reading stuff I wanted to… watchin TV, havin a lazy bfast, listening to distant sirens… all of it felt so wonderful.

Slowly, the weirdness of not holdin a mobile set it. Now it was like WHY no calls from office, WHY no calls from banks, WHY no calls from strangers, WHY no calls from beloveds & WHY no calls from enemies. I felt like being cast away… suddenly into a world where one wanted to talk to me. Its funny how people‘ve two different opinions abt the same thing. It’s like the light & night of a day.

Two days later, when I reached Bangalore & heard my mobile ring…. It felt like a resurrection had taken place... me & my mobile were once again part of the fast moving world.

I read somewhere … “If we discovered that we only had five minutes left to say all that we wanted to say, every telephone booth would be occupied by people calling other people to stammer that they loved them”. Is it y cell phones were invented… so that if such a situation arrived, we could’ve our own booths to tell our last few words…. OK OK… am not getting sentimental….

On the lighter side… before I used to own a cell phone, I gaped at people & wondered why people always gesture with their hands when they talk on the phone? Since they keep moving while on cell phones (most often), do they think they can actually reach the person & the other person wud see their gesture & understand wat they say? Or is it that they feel closer to the person while on a mobile than on a fixed line?

Before I close, I ask myself, why do people use phones even if the other person is reachable in person?? Is it that we use mobile technology because we hate being close together all the time or are we scared of being alone?

Dint get the answer to anything yet… but I luv being part of this gadget savy crowd… takin pride in owning a cellular phone all for myself. Though I do get a mild heart attack very month end when I get the bills.. Im still happy that I’ve my OWN telephone booth ;)

3 comments:

  1. You got me thinking there gal..sometimes i hate the dependency i have on this thing called a mobile but other times i feel safe coz i can reach anyone from anywhere..but i guess thats wat life is all about..You loose some, you get some..you loose ur peace of mind but u get the "mobile" access to everyone anywhere...keep blogging..reading u is fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... When we grew up as a kid we never used to have phones until the age of say 15??? So I was all excited one day when we got a new phone connection at my house.. it was a different experience.. i still remember that day as i was jumping around that phone for a while.. My dad used to get only a few calls a month.. so it was so funny that as soon as i hear the phone ringing it would be a race b/w me and my brother as who will lift the phone first, even though we know that the call is for our dad...

    Things changed so rapidly... and now here we are .. not been able to live without it...in this case a mobile phone... So when we think deeply ..even though we are connected to this running world... something we are missing.... everyone is in search of something... everyone seems to be busy.. from the local milkman... to the Infosys CEO... some after money.. some after planning wrong things... some after fun.. some after their loved ones...

    Once i was out in to the woods camping along with my friends and i purposefully did not carry my phone and for a few hours i was going crazy when i saw my friends talking with someone or other..like a smoker who just quit smoking and trying to resisit smoking when he see other people smoking...then i felt that my cell phone was masking my boredom.... but in a few minutes i got over it and it felt so good.. i started enjoying nature... the tress.. the chirping sound of birds... it was an amazing experience....

    Oh gosh i think i should start my own blogs... anyways ... was fun reading... keep up the good work.. and good luckk...;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anony... i started writing for u de... good to know that u like reading ME.

    @ vijay... appreciate ur thots... thanks a ton da. BTW... this is MY ... u r NOT supposed to write pages as comments :D

    ReplyDelete